Have you ever wondered what your spirit looks like? I'd like to think it is the perfect version of us: unscarred, and unaffected by the wear and tear of mortality. However, does that mean my spirit wouldn't have freckles? Or my brother wouldn't have his characteristic broken nose? --or for that matter that my cousins would have the beaks they were born with before their nose jobs? (I'm sorry that wasn't very nice, they're beautiful girls inside and out).
I know, it doesn't really matter in the eternal scheme of things, but it's kinda fun to speculate.
But what if it did matter? What if our spirit bodies reflected our spiritual lives? For example, I've often thought about the phrase, "feast upon the words of Christ." I know it's talking about a spiritual feasting, and that you gain spiritual nourishment, so does that mean that if you don't "feast" on the word, or even reject it --the equivalent of going on a hunger strike-- when you get to heaven you'll find that your spirit is gaunt and emaciated? On the other hand, what about those who have feasted upon the word (i.e. have been a member all their lives, read the scriptures, gone faithfully to church each week, or even studied endlessly on a certain principle --or in other words had a gospel hobby), but haven't really bothered to gain their own testimony --or maybe they have and just haven't shared it with others, and generally haven't exercised faith? When they get to heaven do they find their spirits fat and flabby --storing away all that spiritual nourishment in their spiritual body, yet never expending the effort to strengthen it? (I suppose the general authorities would all look like body builders in that case. ha ha.)
So maybe when we leave this world we find ourselves stuck with a spirit that not only reflects how we prioritized the spiritual things in life, but also the physical limitations of such a body. I mean, what if the Celestial kingdom resides on the top of a mountain, with the different degrees of glory being found at their respective altitudes, and with this spiritual body of ours we must climb up as far as our spiritual stamina will allow? How far would you make it?
Luckily we've got Christ there, hauling each of us up, Fezzik-style, a little higher than we could have done on our own if we'll just let Him.
This is just a silly rumination of my own, and perhaps a simpler way of thinking of my own spiritual progress, but it helps me to rethink how I spend my life, and refocus on what's really important.
Hope you enjoyed it.
3 comments:
Some scriptures are pretty heavy, if we ponder them, maybe it's like lifting weights. Ha ha. :) I like it.
I did enjoy it! My husband and I were just musing about a similar topic. I was wondering if our spirits before we came here look like our bodies do once we get here. I looked at my baby's face and tried to imagine her spirit's form. I love the imagery you chose to share your idea. And what a marvelous idea it is!
I just had to comment once more. I shared this post with my sweetheart and we really do love the idea of a climb to the degrees of glory! Thank you thank you for your inspiring thought.
Post a Comment