It runs in the family.
My sister-in-law calls it our "German shaped heads," and indeed we do have German ancestors, but I don't know if one can speak in such generalities...
![]() |
| Okay, so based on principles of perspective and depth, the head sizes in this picture are all wrong, I think you all know who's the German though. Coincidence? I think not. |
Anyway, it makes for difficult deliveries, and sometimes I look at other people's newborns and think -"Man! That one would have been a cinch to give birth to!"
I was reading a lady's blog where she wrote a lovely article about how there is so much spiritual symbolism in the natural childbirth process, and how we were meant to go through pain and suffering when we bring children into this earth and so forth... (did I mention she's a doula or midwife or something?) However, I could only think how grateful I have been for epidurals and that if I hadn't been able to have those (and I still felt plenty of pain by the way) I would have been way too traumatized to appreciate the experience and I most likely would have resented my babies for causing me so much pain. I applaud women who can have their babies naturally, and I try not to let it make me feel like less of a woman because I don't. I'll just keep telling myself that their babies don't have as big of heads as mine do.
I have to admit, big heads make for really cute babies, if I do say so myself.
I love how when my baby bends over to pick something up it often ends up in an impromptu somersault.
| Gotta love the bed-head too. |
And I love how when he looks up at me too quickly he has to stagger backward a few paces just to keep his balance.
Babies are miracles however they are born, and everyone can have the deeply spiritual experience of knowing that this little spirit came straight from heaven and was meant for us to take care of regardless of whether we physically brought them into this world (with or without the blessings of modern medicine), or adopted them into our families.
Heaven knows the pain we mothers feel extends beyond the physical kind at delivery. I think when Eve was cast out of the garden that perhaps some of the sorrow she would experience in bringing forth children wasn't just the physical kind but the kind that comes from watching them use, or should I say misuse, their agency --which was a direct result of the fall.
Still, she wisely chose to focus on the joy and happiness that her children brought her as well as the hope that the plan of redemption gave and she praised God (Moses 5:11-12).
What a wonderful example.
So, when life gives you lemons... just reverse the first three letters and you've got yourself something that's naturally sweet.
(I made that up all by myself.)
((I think I better go to bed.))
Anyway, I was just thinking of all my sisters and friends who are expecting right now (some sooner than others) and I wish them all the best! (plus small baby head circumferences ...not too small though).

4 comments:
Big head are definitely cute!
Ha! The lemon/melon swap is very clever! I love your thoughts about Eve. Thank you!
Ha ha, I knew the melon/big head thing, but the lemon thing caught me by surprise. Nice!
Cute big-headed babies.
I birthed 2 with epidurals and 2 natural. One of the naturals had the biggest head of them all. He still does. Ouch.
But you're right, motherhood is hard enough without adding guilt about how the actual birthing process went.
We should concentrate on support other mommies, because heaven knows we all need it.
*supporting
Post a Comment