In a Religion class I took 10 years ago at BYU-Idaho, we were given an assignment to write a parable. As I brainstormed topics to write about, I came across one of my doodles (that was my idea of taking notes at one point), and this became the inspiration of my parable.
I felt like sharing it today because... one: I think it is pretty good (if I do say so myself), and two: I was reminded of it during the recent General Relief Society broadcast when Sister Linda K. Burton told a similar analogy. (I just discovered that her analogy was taken from a primary lesson manual, and although I feel that my parable was completely of my own creation, it makes me wonder if it might be a sign that I actually was listening in primary and that those things really do stick.)
So here it is. (The numbers are the verses --it was supposed to be written like the scriptures, in case you were wondering.)
So here it is. (The numbers are the verses --it was supposed to be written like the scriptures, in case you were wondering.)
The Parable of the Pit
1. In a certain city there was a pit.
2. The breadth thereof was exceedingly large and exceedingly
deep and dirty.
3. There happened upon the pit two youths who, not knowing
the dangers of the pit and the slipperiness of the sides, did venture too close
to the mouth of the pit to peer in and they did fall into the depths thereof.
4. A certain stranger traveling by, hearing their cries,
approached the pit.
5. The youths cried unto him saying; Thou who standest on
higher ground, wilt thou have mercy on us and rescue us?
6. And the stranger answered and said; Nay, for I see that
the pit is exceedingly dirty and I desirest not to be soiled as thou art. And
he went his way.
7. Another stranger passing by and hearing the cries of the
youths approached the pit.
8. They cried unto him saying; Thou who standest on higher
ground, wilt thou have mercy on us and rescue us?
9. Looking into the pit, the stranger answered and said unto
them; Nay, for I do not have the means wherewith to pull you out. And he went
his way.
10. And the youths were exceeding sorrowful.
11. Yet two strangers traveling together passing by heard
the cries of the youths down in the pit and approached.
12. The youths cried unto them saying; Thou who standest on
higher ground, wilt thou have mercy on us and rescue us?
13. And the one stranger, straightway lowered his rod into
the pit in order to draw them out, but alas, it was lacking in length.
14. The second stranger, seeing the deficiency of the rod,
straightway jumped into the pit and built for the youths a ladder that they may
all reach the rod and be lifted out of the pit.
15. And when they had done this, the youths rejoiced saying;
Blessed be thy name forever, for thou art our saviors, and have shown great
mercy upon us for we should have surely perished in the pit!
16. And thus they did cry all the days of their lives.
Translation:
The
youths represent people, who in their ignorance and curiosity, fall into the
pit of sin –perhaps bound for the very depths of hell.
The
strangers represent members of the Church. They stand on higher ground, meaning they uphold their
standards and keep the commandments, yet perhaps they are traveling in
different directions.
The
first stranger is one who, in his pride, refuses to help those in trouble
because he is afraid that it may adversely affect his own standing. He, like a
Pharisee, is afraid of associating with anything considered “unclean.” One may
wonder which direction he travels when it says, “And he went his way.”
The
second stranger, though he stands on higher ground and looks into the pit
wanting to help, is lacking in the resources –perhaps the knowledge, the
willingness, and the strength –whereby to pull them out.
The
last two strangers are a representation of our companionship with Christ. He is
the one who was willing to descend below it all. He prepared the way, building the steps of repentance
whereby all mankind may be saved through His atoning sacrifice.
Notice
that the ladder is built to be used at the will of the youths. It is by their
own strength and choice that they ascend the steps.
The
rod, as in other scriptures, is the Word of God. It is extended to all people
and should be kept close at hand by faithful members.
We,
like the unfortunate youths, are all subject to the pits of mortal life and are
in constant need of the saving and enabling powers of the atonement. Let us
rejoice and praise God continually for his mercy, and let us proclaim these
happy tidings all of our days.
It's amazing to me to see how smart I once was, even at 20. It's not a perfect analogy, but I got an A.
Hope you enjoyed it.

2 comments:
I really like it!
It is funny that you should post this today. Just yesterday in Sac. mtg. A guy from the high counsel and his son spoke.
His son just returned from a mission to Guadalahara sp? Mexico. He told a story about a day that he and his companion were walking down the street. A group of about 6-8 tough looking young men were "hanging out" on the other side of the street, smoking, doing drugs, being profane etc. His companion said, "Lets go talk to them and see if they are interested in the gospel." You can imagine what his thoughts might be. You can imagine what the reaction from the young men were. Not exactly receptive. However, after explaining who they were and taking to them about the word of wisdom they continued down the street. His companion asked, "Do you think any of them were interested?" He responded, "I felt one of them might be."
Several days latter they were approached by one of the young men. He told them their message had touched him and he wanted to know more. He ended up taking the discussions, getting baptized within weeks and is now on a mission of his own. Cool huh?
Post a Comment