Notice anything different about me?
I don't have a gall bladder!
Yeah, so as we were moving ... like on the way to our new home in Idaho, I started having another pain in my stomach area. At first I thought it was just indigestion from the Wendy's I had eaten, but honestly, if that is what indigestion really felt like, the people who get it all the time would shoot themselves. By 1:00 in the morning, I was in the E.R.
They sent me home.
After doing some tests, the doctor was sure he had found my problem --a raging UTI (raging was their word).
Now I may not be an anatomy major, but I think I know where my bladder is, and it is not up under my ribs where this pain was emanating from.
So, I took his pain prescription (some narcotics that made it unsafe to breastfeed my baby) and the doctor referrals (although they didn't do me much good since it was Sunday) and went home.
Well, the powerful pain meds didn't do much, and I spent the whole day writhing in agony. We called around to the other doctors offices, and to my brother who's a doctor in Washington, and got the same answer. Everything points to the gall bladder, and we should have had some imaging done -- an ultrasound or something.
So, we went back to the E.R. and demanded an ultrasound.
They admitted me for immediate surgery.
Although there was no infection, my gall bladder was terribly inflamed and there were several stones.
Great, more stones. But at least I felt validated once again.
Can I just say to that E.R. doctor, "I TOLD YOU SO!"
So I just spent the last few days in the hospital again.
So now you ask, "What did you do with your three children while you were supposed to be moving in to a new home and your husband was supposed to be starting his first days of work?"
Well, that's where the blessings come in.
So, I know I was feeling a little whiny the last time I posted, I hope this doesn't come across as more of the same... but no, that housing never did go through. We wasted $80 and a week of our lives together on that, but it didn't pan out. I finally gave up and went back to a place we had found weeks before --luckily it was still available-- and within one day, it was ours. My mother came and helped me pack and clean, my husband came home and we filled the moving truck, and we were off.
Well, if we had gotten that housing that we had been trying for, and moved on the 11th like we had planned, my mom wouldn't have been here when the gall bladder attack hit. I honestly don't know what I would have done without her. She was a Godsend, and I'll be forever thankful for all her hard work. I mean, it was enough that she packed my things and scrubbed my walls and floors, but then she drove my car to Idaho, sat with me in the E.R. in the middle of the night ...twice... and while I was gone took care of my children and got up with the baby all through the nights to feed and change him. Oh, and she did my laundry and dishes the whole time she was here.
That was definitely a tender mercy of the Lord. The fact that she could even come and stay for longer than planned, was truly a blessing.
We've had so many blessings.
We were more than lucky. The attack could have happened earlier in the day on that long car ride to Idaho, and I would have been in misery the whole way. I was completely worthless the moment I got to our new place-- not being able to do much beyond lying on the floor in pain.
I don't know what we would have done without my husband's brother and his wife to help move boxes and furniture out of the moving truck, and to give us a wonderful dinner that lasted two days.
I'm so grateful for my sister-in-law who came to take my two older kids for a day so my husband could get things moved in and my mom could get a rest.
I'm also grateful for my in-laws who are coming this weekend to take care of us for a few days. The kids love them, and it will be a welcome distraction.
There were so many little things too. It just so happens that we live a block away from the hospital, which made it a lot easier to find. I'm also so glad that the baby took a bottle and formula for the first time so well, since I had never tried before this weekend. People from our Church, who we've never even met, are already set up to help take the kids while my husband is at work as soon as the in-laws are gone too. What a blessing!
Someone might ask, "Why did all this have to happen right now, at the worst possible time?" and feel that I've been very picked on. I admit, I might have thought something like that once or twice... but you know, difficult things just happen, and there is really no good time.
I'm just glad that He softened this difficult time with so many blessings.

No comments:
Post a Comment