swimming at our favorite pool about once every week,
picking up trash along the highway for a earth-friendly family home evening activity,
taking apart a broken etch-a-sketch to see what was inside,
celebrating the baby's first birthday complete with outdoor "hot tubs"
and water balloons
going on a picnic and wading in the shallow String lake in Teton National Park with friends and family,
where the kids got to feed and pet animals at the petting zoo
(accruing quite the collection of feathers from various fowl)
as well as ride kiddie rides,
(Grandma taught us the trick of following the feeding tour truck to see all the bears in action!)
helping cut a big branch out of a large tree at grandma and grandpa's house
(okay, so that was mostly my husband, but I gave great moral support from below),
riding the ski lifts to the top of the mountain,
driving to a beautiful waterfall to try and take family pictures
then picnicking in a familiar camping spot,
then picnicking in a familiar camping spot,
and countless days spent playing at the parks --the ones with streams that the kids just had to get into,
(the crystal clear kind which were much too tempting even though they were ice cold!)
(the crystal clear kind which were much too tempting even though they were ice cold!)
and ones with climbing walls (my oldest became quite the expert), others with ponds, or big hills,
or crazy toys...
...not to mention all the wood chips you can eat!
They have it all there.
*Sigh*
I'm afraid life is a bit dull now, and I'm actually thinking it wouldn't be too bad moving back there again for one last Summer... Am I insane or what?
I call it the "Lucky Charms Effect." (Or Marshmallow Mateys if you're more frugal like me, but that doesn't have the same ring to it).
I generally don't like Lucky Charms, but if I have to eat them (as in there's nothing better in the house and I need something, anything, sweet) I like to eat all the brown parts first, so that one-- there's no soggy brown parts, cause that's the worst, and two-- so I get a whole bowl of nothing but marshmallows at the end! Awesome! (Yes, I know, I'm 30 years old... So?)
I also like to wash it down with some fresh cold milk at the end, not that warm sugary stuff that's left --it's just one of those things that delights me... Like the little tiny soap bubbles that sometimes puff out of my dish soap bottle and make me smile...
Anyway, even though I don't generally like Lucky Charms, after finishing off a whole bowl of just marshmallows and washing it down with fresh cold milk, suddenly I want another bowl of Lucky Charms. I think that by ending on such a good note, I forget about having to choke down all the brown stuff and only remember how good the marshmallows and milk were. My memory can sometimes be selective in that way --I guess it could be worse, I could focus on all the bad stuff, and sometimes I do, but either way, I still end up eating like three bowls of Lucky Charms!
Living in Jackson, and absolutely packing the last few weeks with all sorts of fun and exciting things makes me forget how stinkin' cold it is when I first move there, and how small the apartment is, and how expensive groceries are, and what a pain moving is in general --because moving from Jackson actually isn't that bad. After all, it's only a one bedroom apartment, and more than half our stuff is already boxed and in storage (-not to mention that the last two times I hardly had to do any cleaning myself) so I start thinking "that wasn't too bad, I can do that again" --and in the Spring I curse myself all the way.
This "Lucky Charms Effect" comes into play in a few areas of my life --like every time I decide to invite people over for dinner, or agree to do a babysitting swap (FYI -it's better to let the other couple go on their date first I think, so you have something
(I am joking Sandi, we're still on for next week right?)
Even bottling fruit has a bit of a forgetfulness that comes with time. I love bottled fruit, I love how it looks on my shelves, and the feeling of satisfaction I get when I look at all those gleaming bottles, and I completely forget how tedious and time consuming it is and how horribly messy and sticky it makes my whole kitchen... *thinking of the several boxes of ripe peaches and tomatoes in the garage, ugh.*
I suppose the "Lucky Charms Effect" has its purpose. I probably do more stuff than I would if I really thought about it first. In fact, it's probably the reason I keep getting pregnant and having babies (they're just so darn cute!). But mostly it just gets me into situations where I want to pull my hair and cry out, "What was I thinking?!" or, "Why do I do this to myself?!"
Perhaps it is all worth it. I guess nothing good comes without a price. Looking at this list makes me think that it really was worth it.
(I'm still going to petition for bigger accommodations next Summer though.)
Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one.
What is your memory selective about and what do you find yourself doing over and over again despite your best judgement and the hardships involved?



1 comment:
Hahahahaha! I absolutely love this!
Yes, those little bubbles that pop out of the dish soap bottle are like little fairy kisses. Happiness!
I agree with the Marshmallow Mateys effect. I was just thinking "That's why I keep having kids" when you mentioned that too!
And yes, I like to do my job of sitting first for the same reason. I'm watching them right now and they are being angels--sleeping angels. Funny story, though: the baby woke up and cried, then went back to sleep. Then woke up and cried and kept crying until finally I went in there. When he saw the door opening he cried louder, like, "Mommy is coming!" and then he saw me. Silence. I picked him up and talked to him and he just stared at me, unsure of whether he should get upset or not. He never decided, and by the time I laid him back down he was still staring in great confusion and never made another peep! Haha!)
One thing I do to myself is volunteering for big things, especially at church. Later I always think, WHY?! But I live.
Post a Comment