Friday, July 15, 2011

$5 Chair

When my husband and I were first married, we were at the DI and saw this fantastically ugly pink chair for only $5.  As a joke, I sat down in it, and was actually amazed at how comfortable it was.  Since we were short on furniture in our tiny apartment, I talked him into buying it.  After all, it was only $5, and we could get rid of it at any time --like when we moved to a better place and got real furniture (Ha!), or I could possibly re-cover it.


Well, the chair stayed.  I discovered right after I had my first baby and the subsequent healing that went with third degree tearing (I know,TMI --sorry), that it was the only chair in the house soft enough for me to sit in (in fact I would tote the cushion around with me wherever I went in the house), and it also turned out to be the perfect height and shape for nursing in.  I actually tried replacing it, but no other chair would do.  So with every one of our 11 moves it has come with us.  I still hated the color, but really had no idea how to reupholster things.  The shape especially intimidated me.


BEFORE.   I forgot to take a 'before' picture until after the cushion had been covered.


For more than four years it has been an eyesore and the kids have added to it's colorful character via crayons and pens, (I think it also still had spit-up stains from both babies too) but alas, no more!  My lovely sister came and pretty much reupholstered it all by herself for me!  All I did was pick out the fabric (which I also needed guidance with, so my wonderful sister-in-law took me where I needed to go and pretty much held my hand the whole way.  I'm so helpless).  It's nothing fancy, just functional ...and not pink!  Yay!  So now, technically it's a $20 chair, adding just what the fabric cost, but it's worth much more to me, and will forever be a symbol of the kind and charitable acts of loving sisters.  Isn't it so much better?


AFTER. (With flash)


(With natural light.) It's actually a lot darker green in real life. These pictures do not do it justice.

No comments: