Monday, July 18, 2011

Happy Thoughts

I've been feeling a little down lately, so last night when I couldn't sleep, I decided to think up a list of things that make me happy.  I thought of a lot of things, many of them universal to most people by virtue of the thing (i.e. service, homemade bread, sunsets, etc), but I decided I would share a short list of some of the more original ones I came up with.  Here's a weirdly random sample of things that for some reason or another make me happy, give me pleasure, thrill me, help me feel contented and grateful, make me smile, and generally lift my spirits... in a very personal and quirky sort of way of course.




Finishing off the milk in the bottom of a bowl of sugary cereal, and then adding fresh, ice-cold milk to the bowl to wash it down.


The sensation of a cat rubbing up against my newly shaven legs.


The smell of Chlorine.


Mud squishing between my toes.


The cool underside of my pillow on a hot night.


The color of fresh blueberry juice... and sprinkling dishwasher detergent on the spills to make it turn green, just for fun.


The word Periwinkle.


Bare feet on a warm sidewalk after dark.


Breaking ice bubbles on frozen puddles.


Cedarwood smoke in the fall.


Pulling rocks out of the tread on shoes or tires.

Moonlight.


Pine-scented breezes.


75 degree weather.


Silky pajamas.


Brand-new baby smell.




Okay, so some of those may be more universal than I give credit, but I had to add them because I like to think I enjoy them in a keenly personal way.  There's more where that came from, and perhaps I'll add to my list from time to time.


I wish this post was more visually appealing.


I'll add some of the cooler photos I've taken over the past few years.










1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hope you get feeling better. I think that you are under immence pressure/stress. It is understandable that you would be. We will send some prayers and happy thoughts your way.