Sunday, April 22, 2012

Easter traditions

Well, hopefully forgetting to charge the camera battery won't become an Easter tradition.  So yeah-- no photos this year of our easter baskets.

Our Easter Bunny, although rather pagan by nature, at least respects our religious convictions and kindly delivers our easter baskets on Saturday.  When it is good weather like this year, the baskets are hidden outside in the yard, and after a good breakfast and getting dressed, we all go out to find them.  The kids had fun finding them this year.  It was a beautiful day.

While the kids ate their candy, I realized that I hadn't really talked much with them about the true meaning of Easter.  So I told them the Easter story.  As I did, I got a little weepy, and the children listened intently.  After I finished, my four year old very seriously told me, "I want to believe that."

It was one of those moments when a mother's heart leaps for joy, knowing for once that they're actually listening, and reveling in the opportunity to teach.  I told him that he could believe it.  That as with anything we learn in the Church, we can pray to our Heavenly Father to know if it's true, and that the Holy Ghost will let us know through warm feelings of peace and joy and love in our hearts if it is.  I told him that I believe that story, and that it gives me hope that I can live again with my Heavenly Father and my family forever... and then they were back to throwing candy across the table at each other.  sigh.

Luckily, with that, and then the review at church the next day, I think it sunk in.  For dessert that night we had "Resurrection Rolls" or "Empty Tomb Rolls."  I know, it's kinda cheesy, but they're super yummy, so any excuse to have them... :)




The kids thought it was cool anyway.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I love that sweet little moment before they turn back into rowdy kids. Way to go, mommy!