Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Fabulous Four!


My middle child recently turned four.  He has been asking when his birthday is, and telling everyone he is going to turn four for months.  I think he thinks when people ask "How are you" they are asking "How old are you."  I see how he could make that mistake.

So, I don't do birthday parties for my children. You may think my kids are deprived, but I like to think my kids are wholly unspoiled.  Maybe when they start begging for it, but definitely not before they are old enough to appreciate it. I'm sorry, but I've been to parties for children who were too young where all the children couldn't understand why they couldn't have the presents, and then there was crying and fighting and... no thank you.  It's hard enough when we have younger siblings around.  That's why this year I decided to give each of my other kids a "consolation present," so they wouldn't hover or whine quite so much. Then they took turns sharing and taking turns with each others' toys. It worked pretty well.
To be honest though, I mostly don't have parties because I am too lazy, and I admit I'm a bit stingy too. I love just having my family to myself, and making it a special day for the whole family (not to mention that no one wants a stressed out mommy around on their birthday).

We celebrate with traditions, such as waking up to initial-shaped pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream. (Yeah, we pretty much begin and end the day with cake --isn't that what birthdays are for?)


We also prefer to go on special family outings for birthdays.  It's a great excuse to do something out of the ordinary... like bowling for instance.  (We were going to go to the zoo, but alas, it was a rainy day.)





We also went to Big Jud's and got a giant hamburger to share. The kids thought it was pretty cool.




On a less birthday-ish note, we also visited my sister-in-law who's in the hospital on bed-rest, and then went home for naps while I made the cake. It's still a pretty busy day, and to help us all have a good day, I like to do whatever I can make it easy on myself. For example, thanks to my husband, my kids have been trained to like box mix cakes (something that was unheard of in my household growing up) and the usual birthday staple is rainbow chip cake with rainbow chip frosting (another thing unheard of in my household).  The kids still like their cake decorated in fun ways, and it wasn't until the last minute that my now four-year-old decided he wanted a robot.  I wasn't about to try any kind of cutting and shaping with a box mix, and I didn't want to make even more frosting after already having the store bought stuff, so this is what he got.


He absolutely loved it. (I told you my kids are unspoiled.  Any other kid might start crying at a disgruntled looking robot staring back at him, but mine was thrilled.)


He got his choice of dinner, and we finished off our evening at home with cake and presents.


It was a perfect day.


He even got a rainbow.


And that's how we do birthdays.  At least for now.


4 comments:

Jessie said...

I grew up happily on box cakes. I'm a pie snob, but I love ALL cake. It's only been recently that I've ventured into scratch cakes - and now that's my new fave.
I don't think I could have made such a clever little robot, though.

I totally agree on the kid party thing. We've had only one ever and it was more of a combined birthday/goodbye party because we were moving a few days later. It was in our home and was very simple and old school. Where have the home parties with relay races and present-opening and treats gone, anyway?
I figure if they start begging me for parties, I'll have an every other year policy - like parties on the evens or something.

Good job to you! Look how happy he is!

Sandi said...

What a fun day! I love the robot!

Gina said...

How fun! I'm glad you guys are back in Jackson. I know you can relate perfectly to my moving woes :) Except you have to pack for even more kids and travel farther! Nice work!

Christine said...

I love it! I think your robot is spectacular.

We don't do birthday parties either most years. The kids know they get to have a "friend" party on their 8th and 12th birthdays. The rest of the time we have nice family outings like you. I love it! Much less stressful; that way Mom can enjoy the day too. :)