Thursday, April 11, 2013

Scarlet Pimpernel Party

A friend and I came up with a get-together for a bunch of girls (a.k.a. other mothers) we knew in order to have some quality kid-free girly time.  We started it kinda late after the kids were down and ate a ton of good food and watched the Scarlet Pimpernel. It was way fun, there were door prizes and everything, but none of us thought to take any pictures.
To go with the theme, I thought it would be fun to write love letters to our husbands or kids and seal them with wax like they do in the movie.  I couldn't find a suitable seal to imprint the wax with though, so I decided to make my own. I googled the image from the movie and copied the design.




movie original

mine

Not bad for my first try eh? I figure it's close enough anyway.

All it took was some sealing wax I bought online, and a piece of soapstone, which I carved easily using a nut pick I already had around the house.  The soapstone comes in sticks that are 11mm wide and about 5 inches long and are found at just about any hardware store for about five bucks (you can see them to the right in the first picture).  There are at least 7 sticks and they are generally used to mark metal for welding.



I also found an 11mm ring base and made my own personal signet ring.



What do you think?  Etsy material?

2 comments:

Sandi said...

That was so fun! The wax and the Scarlet Pimpernel seal really made it.

Christine said...

I really wish I could have made it! You and Sandi are so creative and make things really fun.