I know this isn't that original, I see it all over Pinterest, but I thought it would be fun anyway.
All it takes is:
~a jar ( I used a nice big pickle jar, although I've seen it done in lots of things --even big empty light bulbs. I also have plans to take the paint off the lid),
~some rocks for drainage at the bottom (I got mine at the dollar store, and now I'm kicking myself because I should've just picked up pretty ones near the river instead of wasting money --especially since you can't see them very well anyway),
~some potting soil (I may have put too much in here, but maybe it will compress over time),
~some moss and other little plants. (I gleaned some from a nearby spring, but I know you can buy it all from the store as well. Then maybe you won't get little stowaways --So far I've found small slugs, tiny beetles and some almost microscopic snails. Oh, and a mosquito of all things, but I think he adds to the mesozoic theme we've got going, I'm sure they had giant bugs like that --or maybe I've been watching too much journey to the center of the earth).
| Look closely, do you see it? |
~a small figurine if you want. (I didn't have any cute woodland creatures, but I did have some dinosaurs, so that's what we put in there for fun.)
~Add some water and voila! It's its own little ecosystem in there. (Although, I open it up and blow in it every once in a while to give the plants some CO2 just in case).
![]() |
| It makes a nice centerpiece. |
The kids think it's pretty cool (although it's hard not to want to get that dinosaur out). We'll see how long it lasts.


2 comments:
This is definitely something my kids would love to do. They spend hours in our garden,picking strawberries and happily exclaiming that they see new carrot greens poking out of the dirt. If they had their very own mini terrarium, I'm sure they would be thrilled.
How cool!! I need to make something like that with my kids.
Post a Comment