Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sacrament Meeting Talk: "The Principles of Righteousness"




True Doctrine/True Principles

A talk, adapted from Elder Larry Y. Wilson’s conference address: “Only Upon the Principles of Righteousness.”

You might have caught this already, but the theme for this month’s sacrament meetings has been “True Doctrine, True Principles.”  To give direction to my talk, I will be using the April 2012 General Conference address of Elder Larry Y. Wilson, titled; “Only Upon the Principles of Righteousness.”  His talk was mostly directed to parents and leaders as they teach those within their stewardships, but I believe the principles spoken of could be helpful in any situation by anyone wanting to teach and influence others as friends, neighbors, or even as missionaries.

Elder Wilson explained these “Principles of Righteousness” to be those spoken of in D&C 121 when it says that we must act “only, by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness, and meekness and by love unfeigned… by kindness, and pure knowledge… without hypocrisy, without guile… Reproving betimes with bsharpness, when cmoved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of dlove toward him whom thou hast reproved… Let thy abowels also be full of charity towards all men… and let bvirtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly… The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant acompanion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of brighteousness and truth…”
Although this section was specifically about the priesthood, Elder Wilson uses it as a pattern for all parents, both mothers and fathers, and leaders in the Church as they help others to build a link with heaven that will provide them the means for personal revelation and to strengthen their faith and testimonies.

As an unfortunate example, I had a non-member friend once tell me that essentially living among members of our Church had turned her off toward ever becoming one of us.  Everyone was always so quick to tell her that she was wrong, and once they saw they couldn’t “dunk” her, they lost interest in her.  Others didn’t even bother talking to her but just sent the missionaries by anonymously.  Still, she was actually interested and had learned enough about our church, and was impressed with those of us that she knew personally, that she told me that she refused to join any other Church because they didn’t accept Mormons.  However, she also refused to join our Church, because she believed that we didn’t accept anyone else.  This isn’t true, but those well meaning neighbors had failed to act upon the principles of righteousness, and exhibit Christ-like love and acceptance of her, whether or not she was ready to hear the Gospel and be baptized.

On the other hand, I recently read an article by another non-member who said this of his Mormon neighbors: “When I first moved to Pocatello, I lived in a cul de sac and seven of my nine neighbors belonged to the LDS Church. Nobody tried to convert me. They invited me to church picnics – no pressure. My next-door neighbor spent nearly two hours one weekday morning (he was late to work) helping me restore my snow blower to life after five years in the humid South. Another helped flush and fix my sprinkler system. A third returned my dogs after they’d escaped. Several just showed up with family members to help me move in. A fourth one tossed me the keys to his Cadillac after the transmission in my Suburban disassembled on my driveway. "Bring it back when you don’t need it anymore," he said.”

Now there’s some kindness, some patience, some love un-feigned.

I admit that even as a missionary these attributes didn’t come naturally to me. I remember when I finally came to the realization that there wasn’t anything I could do or say to make anyone believe that the Gospel was true. I learned the language, I studied the scriptures so I could answer questions and refute erroneous beliefs, and I often reverted to logic to appeal to their intellectual sensibilities, but obviously I wasn’t having much success.  I struggled as I tried to convince my investigators of the truth, and finally it dawned on me. One day as I was reading in 1 Corinthians chapter 2, I came upon these words in vs 4, “And my aspeech and my preaching was not with benticing words of man’s wisdom, but in demonstration of the cSpirit and of dpower:
 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the apower of God.” 
Further along in 1st Cor. in chapter 12 vs. 3 I also read that “no man can asay that Jesus is the bLord, but by the cHoly Ghost.”

As I let that sink in, these words came into my head, and I wrote them down;

“God knows what his children need to hear --each of them.  If I am so ignorant to assume that I know what they need to hear based on the little I know about them, I may be successful 1 in 10 times –but the other 9, I will have failed miserably. I cannot do it on my own.  Not any amount of words, no matter how well put, will ever convince anyone of the truth unless the Spirit of the holy Ghost is present, and when that is the case, it can take as little as two: ‘He lives.’”

As a missionary I had not been employing the principles of righteousness I just mentioned.  I had been impatient, in some ways, arrogant, and ultimately I had failed to allow these investigators to feel the Holy Ghost and to come to know for themselves the truthfulness of the Gospel.  In a way, I had been exercising unrighteous dominion over them. As soon as I stopped trying to prove and started trying to love, the Holy Ghost was there to bear witness of what we were teaching, and we started seeing success.  Not that it was our success, but our investigators were successful in seeking and finding the answers they were looking for, and gained strong testimonies of the truth.

This same principle applies to teaching our children.

Not only do we have to teach them about the world around them, it’s dangers and pitfalls, as well as how to regulate themselves and act appropriately, but we must teach them how to find their own way, relying on the lord, and making their own choices.  We cannot make their choices for them, and we cannot force them to do what’s right.  They need to develop their own testimonies, and forge a link with heaven, so that they will have a source of personal strength and guidance.

Elder Wilson said, “Our children are in our homes for a limited time. If we wait until they walk out the door to turn over to them the reins of their moral agency, we have waited too long. They will not suddenly develop the ability to make wise decisions if they have never been free to make any important decisions while in our homes. Such children often either rebel against this compulsion or are crippled by an inability to make any decisions on their own.”
“…helping children exercise their agency properly requires teaching them how to pray and receive answers to their prayers. There must also be teaching about the value and purpose of obedience as well as about all other essential principles of the gospel.”

As a parent, I am given daily opportunities to teach and guide my children to become more independent, and to develop their faith and trust in the Lord.  Not that I always take those opportunities—I am far from perfect and to tell you the truth, I think this is why I was asked to give this talk, because I need help in this area. 
Luckily the Lord will give us indicators along the way to help us change our course if we stray.  One Sunday, during Sacrament meeting, I noticed my 4 yr old sitting so quietly folding his arms, so I decided to take the opportunity for some positive reinforcement.  I leaned over and told him “You’re being so good and reverent, I’m really proud of you and I love you.”  He turned to me sweetly, giving me a hug, and then whispered in my ear, “And what are you going to give me?”
Like I said, I’m not perfect.
I’m afraid I often catch myself, in answer to their many “why’s,” saying, “Because I told you so!”  or, “I”m not in the mood to explain, just take my word for it.”  This is not very patient or loving, I know.
I also I realize though that as I shelter them protect them from making mistakes, I am not allowing them to make choices and learn for themselves. In a way, my so-called “love” for them takes away opportunities for growth and development. 

Elder Wilson addressed this saying, “Wise parents prepare their children to get along without them. They provide opportunities for growth as children acquire the spiritual maturity to exercise their agency properly. And yes, this means children will sometimes make mistakes and learn from them.”

He went on to tell a story about when his daughter was a teenager and played on a soccer team.  The team went to the championships, and it just so happened that the championship game landed on a Sunday.  She asked her parents what she should do and they read some scriptures with her and counseled with her about what kinds of activities were appropriate for the Sabbath. But in the end they encouraged her to pray about it and ultimately left the decision up to her.
Well, she chose to play the game.  Now what could they do but let her?
As her mother picked her up after the game, their daughter, with a downcast look said, “That felt awful!  I never want to feel that way again.”

I don’t think she could have learned that lesson quite so well if they hadn’t let her make that choice for herself and experience the consequences.  It’s ok to let kids make these small mistakes while they’re young, so that they avoid making bigger mistakes, when the stakes are higher, later on in life.  Of course, all within reason. 

I am not a perfect parent, but I am trying.  I know that as I do, and as I rely on the Lord, applying and internalizing these principles of righteousness, not only can I teach others and help them to make this important link with heaven, but I can also become more Christ-like, and ultimately, come closer to reaching my own divine potential. 

I know that our Father in Heaven has perfected these things, showing us the ultimate example in how He teaches us, His children; and as we develop these principles of righteousness in ourselves, we can become more like Him, and receive all that He has.

No comments: