I know this blog is usually just pretty pictures, funny stories, cool ideas, and thoughts about motherhood and such, but today we're going to take a break from all that.
Now, I'm not usually one to give my opinion on controversial subjects. Partly it's because I acknowledge that I usually don't have enough of the facts about the subject, I fear that my ideas are half-formed or biased, not to mention that I am hopelessly naive. Plus I'm also aware that there are always exceptions to the rule and I don't like it when people speak in generalities... but mostly it's because I'm a very non-confrontational person and I don't like bringing up anything that could spark an argument with someone who has a different view.
That said, I'm going to bring up a controversial subject... homosexuality.
To be completely honest, this subject simply makes me uneasy, especially considering my faith and upbringing, not to mention various negative experiences I have had in relation to it. I still don't have a complete understanding, nor a strong opinion on this --mostly because I haven't been forced to think about it, and so I just avoid it (I know, I need to pull my head out of the sand), and because I am afraid that my own preconceived ideas and prejudices would probably get in the way of having a very open-minded and respectful discussion. (Have I mentioned how tactless I can be sometimes? It's a fault).
However, I was recently introduced to something which not only made me really think, but helped me understand some things, and begin to reconcile some of my erroneous notions (like for example that it's a choice people make). After reading this together, my husband and I both feel that it has made us better people in some ways, and given us a better understanding of some things.
From a parental standpoint, I find this inspiring in quite a few ways as wise parents and other family members demonstrated love and acceptance while holding true to their beliefs; and from a marital standpoint I am inspired by the sheer faith and dedication, as well as the level of deep connectedness, commitment, understanding, and intimacy that is demonstrated by those involved.
That said, I am sharing this not as an end-all explanation or full description of this issue, it's merely one guy's experience, just another piece to the puzzle, and perhaps it may help someone else out there be a little more open-minded, and a little more charitable towards their fellow human beings.
So without further ado, here's a link to the story of a man who is a member in good standing of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, who is happily married to an amazing woman, has three daughters, and is gay.
I am so impressed by the strength of character and dedication to one's faith that this guy has. He doesn't let the world define who he is --by their definition of the word, nor does he try to cover up or deny who he really is.
The thing that strikes me the most is how he is able to make the distinction between physical feelings and desires, and spiritual conviction and eternal truths that he has come to know.
Isn't that the dilemma that all of us mortal beings struggle with daily? The battle of the body vs. the spirit? Don't we all have parts of ourselves that we must conquer or subdue?
I admire this guy's strength to choose and act according to his own conscience regardless of what others think or do themselves, and am inspired by the happy outcome.
One disclaimer that I'd like to throw out there: I admit that in my little world, the story in the link I have shared may seem ideal, but I realize that ideals are often the exception. I am by no means saying that this is the path I think every gay person should attempt to pursue. The guy in the story equates himself to a unicorn --something rare and mythical, which is probably an apt description. You can put a sparkly horn on a horse, but it still won't be a unicorn. I could see how trying to force such a situation could cause a lot of confusion, pain, and heartache. So let's not use this knowledge to judge or set a standard for others who make different choices in their lives. Let's instead share the message of love and acceptance that it has inspired.
4 comments:
I am so glad that his blog post helped you see things a little differently. He really is brave, isn't he? I started down the road of looking at my prejudices regarding gay people two years ago, shortly after my life bomb (which had nothing to do with anything gay-related, but it just forced me to look at how I see EVERYTHING in my life), and my views have changed dramatically. In fact, I am a fully-active, temple-attending member of the church, and I am pro gay marriage.
(If you want to ask me questions, email me. Otherwise, I'm certainly not trying to shove my views down your throat.)
I digress. Anyway, I loved your thoughts on this, and I loved seeing that you have opened yourself up to loving others more fully. Yay for you!
(P.S. I'm still jealous that you have such a beautiful view from your house. Iowa, while green and lush, lacks mountains. Sigh.)
Thanks for your comment Erin. You have a big heart.
I am still thinking and analyzing my own thoughts on this subject, and I can't say that I would necessarily equate both coming to a better understanding and acceptance of homosexual individuals, and being pro gay marriage. I still find that to be two very different things, but that's just me.
Of course Laura! I hope my comment didn't infer that I equated those two things as the same, nor that I expected you to come to the same conclusion. I realize this life is an individualized path for all of us, and if we listen to our consciences and follow the spirit, we do what is right for us. You're awesome!
I read this story when it first came out. Simply amazing. I grew up in a close-minded little town and was pretty close-minded myself. It took moving a few times and living in different places to realize that I needed to reevaluate some things and stop judging. And it took making a few monumental mistakes of my own to have compassion for everyone and the difficulty they have in making the choices they make.
But I agree that there is a difference between loving someone despite their problems and passing a law to say that it is okay.
Post a Comment