....and they're going to eat me... Aaa-a-a-aahh.
I went for a hike with the boys the other day while my husband was at work. Now, I've never been afraid of the woods. I grew up going camping and hiking on a regular basis, and at times I felt more at home there than anywhere. However, as I hiked through this forest, with my little ones surrounding me, I was suddenly panic-stricken. What if something happened? What if a bear, or a mountain lion, or even wolves for that matter, thought my baby sounded like something to eat? What if one of those dumb cows by the side of the road, or even worse, a mama moose, decided to take offense at something and charge!? What if, what if, what if...? It was making me paranoid.
I wasn't too concerned with minor injuries, nettles, bees, whatever. I was worried about having to fight off some ferocious animal with a baby strapped to my back. It probably didn't help that there were "Be Bear Aware" signs all over, and we were packing yummy-smelling peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
As we lost sight of the car, I heard a really strange noise, similar to what I might imagine a cougar to sound like, but lower and kinda garbled. There were cows on the other side of the clearing, but this didn't sound like any cow. As I seriously considered making a run for the car, I looked around at the docile creatures, and decided that if the cows weren't concerned that I wouldn't be either. I said a quick prayer (one of many that day), grabbed a big stick, and kept going.
We actually had a really great time! It was a lovely hike, and a beautiful day. We enjoyed our little picnic and when the trail ended, the boys wanted to keep going, so we just hoofed it up through the trees, higher and higher, exploring as we went.
and experienced a few firsts...
The baby, even though we went way past his nap time, just chilled in the backpack, soaking it all in. He loved it.
As we went back down the mountain and down the trail, the boys couldn't resist the urge to let gravity take them faster and faster, running, leaping, flying. We were almost to the place we left the car, but still, I felt those imaginary cords that bind them to me tighten as they got just a little too far for comfort. I called, to no avail, as they disappeared out of sight.
The panic, which had left for the most part, suddenly came back as I noticed the cows across the way jump up and start running down the canyon. More and more cows appeared from somewhere to the right. Fears of what might be scaring them, and a possible stampede ran through my head. As I rounded the next bend I saw the car, and my two little boys almost to it. Thank goodness for keyless entry and power sliding doors. I pushed the button on my key chain so the kids could easily hop into the car, and once they were safely inside I finally felt a sense of relief.
Ah, motherhood. I know it will always be like this. I will never stop worrying.
Of course, the cows were just afraid of us, and now, because nothing ever happened, I feel a little silly about all my fears. However, I'm glad that I didn't give up and give in to them, letting them get in the way of our beautiful day.
Still, I might purchase a can of bear spray before next time, just in case.




4 comments:
Looks like such a fun day! I love the pic of the boys standing on the stumps. They look like little explorers.
The first time we went walking here in Iowa I heard what sounded like live electrical wires humming at a very loud pitch really close by. Then someone told me they are cicadas, really large bugs. It totally freaked me out. (That's what your post title reminded me of.)
My kids love exploring nature! I'm sorry some things freaked you out - I'm sure they would have me too.
(Did you get my email? Just curious.)
What a beautiful place! How fun to explore with little boys. I hope you guys are doing well.
P.S. I made brazilian lemonade for Marty's father's day dinner - it was a big hit. Thanks!
A mother's job is to worry. And it never ends! My mom still worries about me....
Post a Comment