Monday, June 6, 2011

Crafty

Okay, so this is about as crafty as I get.  I don't sew or cross-stitch, or scrapbook, or make jewelry (although, I admit, I have done a little wire-wrapping lately), I do however like to work with wood when I get a chance to use my Dad's shop and tools and such.  I have done other craft-like things that were very random, like wood burning, sand-blasting, and using mod podge, but that's about it.  Anyway, I recently bought a hot glue gun and one rainy day, about a week or two ago, out of desperation to keep the kids happy I made these monster puppets out of some dollar store foam sheets I had around.  I thought they turned out rather nice, and the kids like them too.


Left to Right: Mike, Bluey Kablooey, Red Eyes, and Happy. 




They got to choose the colors and how many eyes and such, Ethan wanted a sad one, and you may recognize the green one from somewhere --I know, not very original, but whatever-- they had fun being part of the process.


Mike, meet Bluey Kablooey.  Bluey Kablooey, Mike.




A week or two later, I decided to make these fish, and my husband even got in on the act.  He made the small orange fish and the octopus.  They have a large safety pin inside so the magnet sticks and they can be "caught."






We had much more success with these than with real fishing.





Snagged it!

By the way, if you're wondering what's with the background of these pictures, let me explain.  First of all, I confess that I am the kind of person who usually tries to hide what a mess my house is when I take pictures.  My husband took this with no thought as to what was in the background.  Yes, it was laundry day, and yes, my child sleeps underneath a bunk bed which we use for storage (that's his toddler bed behind him in "the cave."  Right now we are crammed into a one bedroom apartment that has no storage whatsoever, so this was the best we could do.  The place was already furnished and there are two twin mattresses that went with the unused bunk beds, and our broken-down moving boxes are between them for want of a better place to put them.  We move so often, we just save all our boxes and reuse them.  Way to go green eh?  The ugly pink chair (which I also try to avoid taking pictures of) will hopefully get reupholstered this Summer, and yes, my son is using the changing pad as a boat --which gives a whole new meaning to "poop deck." 


Now you know.

No comments: